Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

An organised home equals an organised mind?

DAY 11 Clean the washing machine, Declutter the linen cupboard, organise the linen cupboard.

The washing machine wasn't too much of a chore. It's pretty new as our 11 year old machine died less then a year ago. I ran a short wash cycle with about 30ml of Nutrimetics Heavy Clean.

I stopped the cycle when the product had mixed in and used the warm soapy water to wipe down the inside and outside of the machine. I also found an old toothbrush to be handy to get into all the little nooks & crannies.

I also washed the softener dispenser, using the toothbrush to loosen up the little bit of build up in there. Then just let the cycle finish. Luckily this was easy and quick enough to do before work.


DID YOU KNOW that most fabric softeners are made with animal tallow (animal fat)? This is what that sludgy build up is mostly made from. Eeeeew, gross right? I switched to Nutrimetics FBC which has a beautiful fragrance, but it is a little pricey at $18.00 per litre. And again, being impatient I looked for a supermarket alternative.

Nature's Organics Earth Choice Fabric Softener is tallow and dye free, biodegradable, not tested on animals, contains no animal products, PET free plastic packaging and 100% Australian made and owned. Best of all I can get it from Woolies for $2.11 per litre!

I really don't have as big an issue with sludge since changing to tallow free.

In a wierd way I was looking forward to getting into the linen cupboard. It has been a source of contention, with stuff all over the floor making it impossible to get in there properly. Of course the kids grab a towel (from the bottom of the pile) and the whole lot tumbles down. And I was pretty sure there was stuff in there that was pre-children, meaning it had done two or three moves of house and never been used!
Linen Cupboard {Before}





I took EVERYTHING out and started again. All of the little boxes got sorted through and I ended up with a big bag to donate :)

Linen Cupboard {After}





I had the thought as I was reorganising that if I moved the towels down to child level, perhaps they might beable to take a towel without the whole pile taking a tumble. Duh!? So simple, why did I not think of it before?

I am beginning to feel that by organising my home, I am organising my mind. All those little irritations of a messy spare room or closet are starting to fade and I just keep looking forward to the next task . . . 

0 comments:

Post a Comment